Saturday, October 7, 2017

Evolution of a song (Part 1: Arrangement)


The infinite possibilities: how to get to the right one?

1. This song came unusually easy to me. It was pouring. Bam, bam, I was on a bus, going to work and I had to open OneNote to write down lyrics. Didn't need to edit or make rhymes, all was in place already.
Bam, bam, I printed out the lyrics, walked to a piano and found harmony for the chorus. It had to be catchy and it was. From there in a few steps I got to the verse harmony and also the interlude. The last part remaining was the connection from chorus back into verse, which I sought for a while and it turned out to be just one extra chord.
With everything written down the song was ready and I can perform it, check out the live piano version featuring me and Chi at 0:00-1:10.




2. But this isn't the style of music that I usually write. Next turn - for the metal part: drums, guitars, bass.
Big support needed for the chorus, moderate for the verse, the interlude is expected to rock! So goes the rhythm. A little faster, but keeps main beats aligned with piano chords. Bam! Ba-da-bam-bam! Push-ta-zysh!
So I was ready to record at this point, so I dropped some random instruments in Ableton in place of real instruments at 1:10-2:27.

3. But this isn't my style and this is too boring, has no development. It is deadly for the number of verses, which I managed to bring down to five. This song needs variation. And this is where I got stuck. this is where the hard work had to be invested in. This is why I need to cooperate with someone: to unload the dirty work :)
At least it sounds more metal at 2:27-3:30.

4. ARRANGEMENT
Faster? Slower? More Melody? Drop an instrument! Silence... A breakdown? My brain's in breakdown.
I need a break...

I added a couple of simpler melodies to support the vocal line and used different combinations of instruments. I really like the new Guitar pro (7th) set of RSE (real sounding) instruments at 3:30-4:50.

5. Now it's only left to pick synth instruments, record vocals, add effects and post-processing and mix. Maybe I'll manage to record live guitar even? Not dreaming of live drums and bass...
Things finally coming together (sounds better with the voice in my head, but that's a story for another post) at 4:52-6:25.

These chunks are just examples. The song is now 7:30 long!
To be continued...



No comments:

Post a Comment